With the days growing shorter and the nights becoming crisper, there’s something undeniably enchanting about the soft, flickering glow of candlelight.
But many traditional candles, particularly those crafted from paraffin wax, can release chemicals and toxins into the air when burned, compromising the very atmosphere we aim to enhance.
We have curated a selection of 7 best safe and non-toxic candles that not only illuminate your fall evenings but also contribute to a healthier home.
Read also our articles about Soy Wax vs Beeswax, Houseplants To Remove Toxins And Enhance Air Quality, and How to Create a Toxic-Free Bedroom.
The Conscious Insider is reader supported. When you buy something we recommend, we might earn an affiliate commission at no extra charge for you.
Table of Contents
Soy wax is a natural vegetable-based wax made from soybeans that is eco-friendly and vegan-friendly. It’s a creamy white wax with excellent fragrance-holding qualities, known for its clean burn and long-lasting performance.
Benefits Of Using Soy Wax For Candles
- Eco-friendliness and sustainability as soy wax is a natural and renewable resource.
- Low melting point, which allows for longer burning time compared to beeswax and paraffin candles.
Soy candles have a low melting point of 43 degrees celsius while beeswax and paraffin candles reach their melting points above 60 degrees celsius.
- 100% plant-based and biodegradable, making it a great eco-friendly wax.
- Often vegan, appealing to those who follow a plant-based lifestyle.
- Does not produce harmful byproducts when burned, unlike paraffin candles.
- Has a great scent throw and can hold more fragrance oil than other waxes.
- Easy to clean up with soap and water.
Eco-Friendly Alternatives To Soy Wax
If you’re in search of natural alternatives to paraffin and soy wax, there are several options to consider.
- Coconut wax, made from the meat of coconuts, it’s a renewable resource that burns cleanly and has an excellent scent throw.
- Palm wax, derived from palm trees, it’s another eco-friendly alternative to paraffin wax that produces little soot.
- Rapeseed wax, made from the oil of rapeseed plants, it’s non-toxic, biodegradable, and has a clean-burning.
- Hemp wax, derived from the oil of hemp seeds, it’s also renewable and produces little soot while having a delicate scent.
- Candelilla wax is made from the leaves of the candelilla shrub. It’s a hard, brittle wax that has a high melting point and a natural, earthy scent.
- Beeswax is a natural product that can be harvested without harm to bees. Beeswax releases no chemical and almost no soot into the air.
Best Luxury Non-Toxic Candle
Diptyque – Baies
Material | Blend of vegetable waxes
Burn Time | 30 hours
Price | $42
- Handcrafted by the renowned French perfume house Diptyque, this scented candle adds an air of luxury to any home.
- Enjoy up to 60 hours of enchanting scent of captivating blend of red fruits and roses that exudes both fruity and floral notes.
- Diptyque offers a range of almost 50 scented candles.
Customer Review | “Diptyque’s trademark scent and it is for a reason o my god this smell is divine. Subtle and not too overwhelming like other rose scented candles can be it gives a really lovely freshness to any room. Really long lasting I’ve had people comment on the sent even when the candle isn’t burning anymore. Highly recommend!” Zoe
Best Non-Toxic Candle for Living Room
Calyan Wax – Apples & Maple Bourbon Candle
Material | Soy wax, metal-free burning wicks, essential oils
Burn Time | 57 hours
Price | $22.99
- Eco-friendly and plant-derived candles with metal-free and clean-burning wicks. The candles are made with premium soy wax grown in the USA.
- 16 fragrances available, including maple syrup, baked apple. Ideal for fall and winter time.
- These 8 oz rustic amber jars offer a high-end minimalist aesthetic and a unique scent profile. Vegan and long-burning, they provide over 57 hours of continuous burn time. Calyan Wax donates 5% of its revenue to organizations fighting human trafficking and empowering survivors.
Customer Review | “The price gave me pause but I took a chance based on the reviews and am happy I did. My wife also loves it, causing the candle to disappear from my office a few times. The other day I left the candle lit for most of the day on accident but I was amazed how little of the wax had been used. Some of the money goes for a great cause is a big plus so I’m sure I will be trying other scents. This scent is the Apples & Maple Bourbon.” Chuck
Best Budget Non-Toxic Candle
Cedar & Suede Soy Candle – Public Goods
Material | Natural soy wax, cotton wicks, and essential oils.
Burn Time | about 40 hours for 7oz
Price | $8.95
- Cedar & Suede candle offers a warm and woodsy scent with Sandalwood, jasmine, Turkish rose, amber, and leather notes, adding elegance to any space.
- Available in 3 sizes with multiple wicks for longer burning, and featuring an eco-friendly acacia wood lid, making them 100% plastic-free.
- This candle is a safe and ethical choice, free from lead, dyes, BPA, or phthalates. It’s cruelty-free, paraben-free, and suitable for vegans, and after use, the glass jars can be repurposed for various storage needs in your home.
Customer Review | “Lovely scent, good price and very nice glass with top container that can be repurposed.” Natalia
Best Long Lasting Non-Toxic Candle
Gingerbread Candle – Cas Sanctum
Material | Pure coconut and apricot wax, essential oils, wooden wick
Burn Time | 70-80 hours
Price | $46
- Seven fall and winter fragrances: Eggnog, Pumpkin, Hygge, Hot Cocoa, Gingerbread, Honey, and Pine.
- Handcrafted with care in Sarasota, FL, this 11 oz candle is made from pure coconut and apricot wax, scented with essential oils and natural fragrances, and features a wooden wick for a cozy atmosphere that lasts 70-80 hours.
- Eco-friendly and cruelty-free, it’s vegan and free from phthalates, petroleum, and other harmful chemicals.
Best Non-Toxic Candle for Bedroom
Pumpkin Creme – Hemlock Park
Material | Natural coconut wax, crackling wood wicks, essential oils
Burn Time | 60 hours
Price | $24.95
- Handcrafted in small batches in Sierra Nevadas.
- This vegan and cruelty-free candle uses natural coconut wax and crackling wood wicks for a cozy fireplace ambiance.
- If you are not satisfied with the candle, you’ll get a full refund.
Customer Review | “This candle is expensive and small, but it absolutely fills the room with its amazing rich scent. It also burns slowly. Given these two factors, this candle is worth it! When I read about others enjoying the crackling sound of the wick, I wasn’t sure what to think. How could a wood wick really sound like a crackling fire? But it really does! It’s not a faint sound either. This is the best candle I’ve ever purchased… seriously! I got the Palo Santo, and am definitely coming back for more!!” MLR
Best Non-Toxic Candle for Clearing Cooking Smell
Apple Cider – Mrs Meyer’s
Material | Soy
Burn Time | 25 hours
Price | $10.99
- Enjoy up to 25 hours of soothing, garden-inspired scents.
- Crafted with a vegetable soy wax base and carefully selected ingredients, these candles are not only vegan but are also tested by people, not on animals. Plus, they come in a reusable jar, perfect for repurposing once your wick is ready to retire.
- What’s more, these candles are not just about ambiance; they’re free from BPA, cruelty, parabens, phthalates, silicones, sulfates, and dyes. These candles are safe and non-toxic.
Customer Review | “Great candle and especially for clearing cooking smells from the house!” Anne
Best Cruelty-Free & Non-Toxic Candle
Warm Vanilla Cruelty Free Candle – Eco Roots
Material | 100% american grown soy wax, premium grade oils, and organic cotton wicks.
Burn Time | 55-60 hours
Price | $27
- These 8oz cruelty-free candles are perfect for gifting or personal relaxation.
- Crafted from 100% American-grown soy wax, premium oils, and organic cotton wicks for an eco-friendly, clean-burning experience.
- Hand-poured in the USA into recyclable amber glass jars with metal gold lids, these candles are cruelty-free, vegan, and free from phthalates, parabens, artificial colors, and made with non-dyed cotton wicks.
Customer Review | “This candle not only smells amazing, but it’s cruelty free, vegan, and packaged in a reusable/recyclable jar. I definitely recommend getting this and look forward to trying other scents!” Emily
Picture credits belongs to respective brands. These are the product prices at the time of the article’s publication
Read our latest articles
- Your Guide to the Best Fluoride-Free Toothpastes and the Fluoride Controversy
- 19 Best Vegan And Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands in 2024
- 48 Fast Fashion Facts And Statistics In 2024
- 15 Best Non-Toxic Air Fresheners Plug-In For Clean Air in 2023
- 15 Healthy Non-Toxic Dinnerware Sets for an Eco-Friendly Table (2023)