When it comes to caring for our hands, choosing non-toxic products is not only better for our health, but also for the environment. If you’re on the hunt for a nourishing and non-toxic hand cream, you’re in the right place.
We’ve rounded up the best non-toxic hand creams that will leave your hands feeling soft, smooth, and rejuvenated. From organic ingredients to cruelty-free formula, these hand creams not only protect and hydrate your skin but also align with your values.
The Conscious Insider is reader supported. When you buy something we recommend, we might earn an affiliate commission at no extra charge for you.
Our Pick for The Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream
LA ROCHE-POSAY – CICAPLAST HAND CREAM
Cicaplast Hand Cream provides immediate and long-lasting hydration to dry and very dry hands.
WHY WE LOVE IT
– Fast-absorbing texture with a non-greasy, non-sticky finish
– Dermatologist Tested for Safety, Allergy Tested, and Accepted by National Eczema Association
– Fragrance-Free and Paraben-Free
Table of Contents
12 Hazardous Ingredients to Ban From Your Hand Creams and Lotions
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. Irritant for the skin.
- Benzophenone-1 and 3. Endocrine disruptor and allergen.
- BHA. Endocrine disruptor. Classified as potentially carcinogenic by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- BHT. Endocrine disruptor.
- Butylparaben, propylparaben, sodium butylparaben, sodium propylparaben, potassium butylparaben, potassium propylparaben. Endocrine disruptor.
- Cyclopentasiloxane, cyclotetrasiloxane, cyclomethicone. Endocrine disruptor.
- Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate. Endocrine disruptor.
- Methylisothiazolinone (MIT), methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCIT). Allergen, called “Allergen of the Year” by the American Contact Dermatitis Society
- P-phenylenediamine. Allergen.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Irritant for the skin.
- Triclosan. Endocrine disruptor.
- Octocrylene. Endocrine disruptor. When degrading over time, octocrylene creates benzophenone, a toxic component for human health according to a study from the Chemical Research in Toxicology.
7 Best Non-Toxic Hand Creams And Lotions
When a product is EWG certified, it means that the product meets EWG’s strictest standards for health and safety and that the formulation has been reviewed by EWG scientists. To know more, check EWG website.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream for Dry Skin
1. Be Green Bath & Body – Shea Butter Hand Cream
Non-toxic product | EWG verified
Price | $13
User Review | 5 /5 stars over 52 reviews
“ This hand cream is amazing! I work in a wood shop and so my knuckles are always dry and cracked especially in the winter but after 2 or 3 uses my hands were feeling moisturized and smooth! This hand cream isn’t greasy at all and soaks in right away.” Melanie
Made with organic shea butter and cocoa butter, this hand cream is both thick and rich, and it will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth.
Without any added fragrance, the cream has a subtle aroma of chocolate and shea nuts. Plus, it’s gentle enough and safe for use on your face and lips. The shea butter hand cream is also free of harmful chemicals like parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and SLS, and it comes in a sustainable jar.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream for Eczema
2. La Roche-Posay – Cicaplast Hand Cream
Non-toxic product | Dermatologist Tested for Safety, Allergy Tested, Fragrance-Free, Paraben-Free, Accepted by National Eczema Association
Price | $10.99
User Review | 4.7 / 5 stars over 4,142 reviews
“I am not a doctor, but in my personal experience this is the only non-medicated cream I’ve found that soothes my eczema. It also actually repairs it which is so nice especially when the weather is cold. This cream is truly a lifesaver and I’m so glad I found it. It also has very little scent. “ Faith
Cicaplast Hand Cream provides immediate and long-lasting hydration to dry and very dry hands. Formulated with Niacinamide, Shea Butter, and Glycerin, the hand cream creates an invisible protective layer, soothes, and replenishes lost moisture. It has a fast-absorbing texture with a non-greasy, non-sticky finish. Cicaplast Hand Cream is suitable for sensitive skin, dermatologist-tested, and allergy tested. It is also fragrance-free and paraben-free.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream Cruelty-free
3. Burt’s Bees – Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream
Non-toxic product | Natural ingredients, free from parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, sls
Price | $2.49
User Review | 4.7 / 5 over 25,368 reviews
“My hands get really dry and crack because of the industry I work in. I could never find a lotion that would help. This lotion is thick and it really helps keep my hands from drying out. It smells amazing too!!” Renny
Burt’s Bees Hand Repair Cream is a natural, moisturizing hand lotion that revitalizes and repairs cracked, dry skin. Infused with cocoa butter and sesame oil, the 99% natural lotion contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter, vitamin E, and botanical extracts. It has a fresh, clean scent and is free of phthalates, parabens, and petrolatum.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream for Aging Skin
4. Osea – Anti-Aging Hand Cream
Non-toxic product | EWG certified
Price | $38
User Review | 4.7 /5 stars over 60 reviews
“My hands are smoother and dark spots fading. Love the smell also” Monique
OSEA Anti-Aging Hand Cream contains antioxidants and its hydrating formula is designed to replenish lost moisture and brighten age spots of mature skin. The cream is suitable for use on hands, nails, and cuticles.
It contains organic coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, aloe leaf extract, shea butter, and gigartina seaweed to protect the skin’s natural moisture barrier. Although it works especially well for hands, it can be used anywhere on the body to smooth dry patches.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream for Men
5. Henry Rose – Hand & Body Lotion
Non-toxic product | EWG certified
Price | $55
User Review | 5 stars over 7 reviews
“Love it! Slightly higher price point than I usually go for but it is so light and smells amazing and I love that it’s EWG verified!” Morgan
Henry Rose hand lotion contains shea butter, vitamin E, and vitamin B5 to soothe and hydrate skin. The hand and body lotion comes with a fresh scent and moisturizing properties. The product is both EWG Verified and Cradle to Cradle Certified, ensuring that every ingredient is safe and of high quality.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream with Organic Ingredients
6. Avalon Organics – Hand & Body Lotion
Non-toxic product | Certified Organic Product
Price | $10.99
User Review | 4.5 / 5 stars over 6,402 reviews
“I had tried many other lotions and this is the only one that is perfect for me. From the smoothness to the fragrance, to the way my body feels after using it.” Elmer
This certified organic, plant-based hand cream is made with botanicals and essential oils to deeply nourish and moisturize extra dry skin. The formula contains Virgin Coconut Oil, Aloe, Avocado Oil, Vitamin E and Shea Butter to restore the skin’s natural lipid balance and provide intense replenishing hydration. The hand cream is free of GMOs, parabens, harsh preservatives, synthetic colors or fragrances, phthalates, and sulfates. It is also cruelty-free and recognized by the Leaping Bunny Program.
Best Non-Toxic Hand Cream Vegan
7. Juice Beauty – Age Defy Hand Cream
Non-toxic product | Ingredients Certified Organic, Paraben-Free
Price | $12
User Review | 4.39 / 5 stars over 18 reviews
“Love this hand cream! Goes on well, not too thick, not too think – just right! The smell is subtle – not overpowering at all which is great for anyone who is smell sensitive. So glad I found this hand cream and will carry it with me always!” Anonymous
Juice Beauty Age Defy Hand Cream is a qualitative hand cream that hydrates, smooths, and brightens hands. The formula is made with natural oils, vitamins, and key ingredients like Vitamin C, Fruit Acids, Peptides, and Primrose, Linseed, and Borage to protect against free-radical damage, diminish the appearance of hyperpigmentation and fine lines, and deeply hydrate skin.
4 Certifications & Labels to Help You Pick Non-toxic Hand Creams
To know more, read our article about clean beauty certifications and labels.
The Environmental Working Group certifies products that are non-toxic for human health and the environment.
Founded in 1993, EWG is focused on chemical safety and bans hazardous substances. The Group’s mission is to push companies to create safer and healthier products. On the EWG website, you can find many reports about substances proven to create allergies, fertility issues, and even cancers.
EWG certification means that a product went through the strictest checks for human health and was found safe to use and free from hazardous chemicals. The EWG label is an important clean beauty certification guaranteeing the safety of your makeup or skincare products.
The Made Safe label certifies that a product is not toxic to human health or the environment.
Made Safe was created in 2014 by Nontoxic Certified, a non-profit organization.
Ingredients, manufacturing, and end-of-life disposal processes are reviewed by an independent third party. The final product should not contain any ingredients harmful to human health or the environment.
Currently, 6500 hazardous substances are banned from the Made Safe ingredient list.
The certification applies to apparel, baby and child items, bedding, cosmetics, household, intimate and personal care, and pet products. This is a very popular clean beauty certification.
Cosmos Organic is a certification for organic and natural cosmetics products created by Ecocert.
The certification was created by Ecocert in 1991. Ecocert is an international organization specializing in the certification of sustainable practices. Today, the company is present in more than 130 countries.
The Cosmos certification guarantees
- Environmentally friendly production and processes,
- Reasonable use of natural resources,
- Absence of petrochemical ingredients,
- Recyclable packaging
The Cosmos logo certifies at least 20% of organic ingredients in the formula and 95% of the plants contained in the product to be organic. This clean beauty certification is widely used in cosmetics and personal care products.
USDA Organic is the American certification for organic food and ingredients.
The USDA Organic certifies a farm or processing facility to sell, label, and represent their products as organic. It sets non-toxic and durable criteria for factors such as soil quality, animal breeding, or the use of additives.
USDA-accredited certifying agents inspect the organic facilities every year. The organic certification reviews processes and criteria such as seed sources, soil conditions, crop health, weed and pest management, water systems, and more.
It exists four categories for the USDA certification:
- “100% organic”: contains 100% organic ingredients
- “Organic”: contains a minimum of 95% organic ingredients
- “Made with organic ingredients”: contains a minimum of 70% organic ingredients
- “Specific organic ingredients”: made with less than 70% organic ingredients
UDSA organic is often used in eco-friendly beauty products as a trustworthy clean beauty certification.
How To Protect Your Hands Daily?
Dry and cracked hands can be a frustrating and painful problem. Constant washing, exposure to the elements, and other environmental factors can all contribute to the problem.
Here are some tips to keep your hands healthy.
1. Limit excessive hand washing. While it’s important to wash your hands after using the bathroom or before preparing meals, washing your hands too often can negatively affect the skin’s microbiome and hydration. Remember to dry your hands carefully after washing.
2. Avoid using antibacterial gel unless it’s necessary. Overuse can dry out the skin.
3. Protect your hands by wearing gloves when doing household chores, DIY projects, or gardening.
4. As the temperature drops, wear gloves to protect your hands from the cold weather. The decrease in blood circulation caused by the cold can damage the surface of the skin.
5. Shield your hands from harmful UV rays by applying sunscreen, and don’t forget to cover the back of your hands. Overexposure to the sun can lead to skin damage, premature aging, and pigmented spots.
What Are The Best Natural Products for Dry Hands?
One of the best natural remedies for dry, cracked hands is to use vegetal oils and butter.
Olive oil, shea butter, and coconut butter are all excellent choices. Apply a thick layer of the oil or butter to your hands before bed and wear cotton or plastic gloves to lock in the moisture overnight. You can also use Vaseline in the same way.
In addition to using natural oils and butters, there are several other natural remedies you can try. Aloe vera gel is a great moisturizer for dry skin, and it also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce redness and irritation. Honey is another natural moisturizer that can help soothe and heal dry, cracked hands.
Picture credits belongs to respective brands. These are the product prices at the time of the article’s publication.