From avocado to rosemary, there are countless natural ingredients that can help nourish, strengthen, and revitalize your hair. In this article, we’ll be sharing some of the best natural ingredients for hair that you can incorporate into your hair care routine for healthy, vibrant locks.
Say goodbye to harsh chemicals and hello to the goodness of nature!
To know more about natural and clean beauty, check our articles about natural & cruelty-free moisturizers, deodorants, face washes, or vegan makeup brands. Learn how to create a personalised natural skincare routine in 4 simple steps.
Table of Contents
Here are 46 natural ingredients to get your hair healthy naturally.
7 NATURAL INGREDIENTS TO GET RID OF DANDRUFF
Dandruff can be caused by several factors, including a dry or irritated scalp, seborrheic dermatitis (a chronic form of eczema), or a reaction to hair care products (contact dermatitis). Fortunately, many natural ingredients can help tackle dandruff. In addition to our recommendations for dry hair or sensitive scalp, consider incorporating the following ingredients into your hair care routine:
If you’re looking for a natural way to combat dandruff, essential oils may just be the solution you need says expert Emilie Jolibois. Their plant-based properties make them an ideal choice for taking care of the scalp, and many essential oils have powerful antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory qualities that can help keep dandruff at bay. For instance:
- Palmarosa and Tea Tree oils are excellent for cleansing, soothing, and purifying irritated scalps.
- Bay Laurel essential oil possesses antifungal properties that can help fight against microorganisms responsible for dandruff.
- Lavender repair, soothe, and refresh irritated scalps.
- Patchouli essential oil is also known for its anti-dandruff properties.
Keep in mind that essential oils should not be applied directly to the scalp as this could cause skin irritation. To use essential oils safely, dilute five drops of the oil in one tablespoon of carrier oil, such as coconut or almond oil. Essential oils should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Coconut oil is a true superstar in the world of natural hair care. Extracted from coconuts, this oil is packed with nourishing vitamins E and K, iron, and a special ingredient called lauric acid. Lauric acid allows the coconut oil to penetrate beneath the surface of hair and skin, protecting against everyday damage.
The oil is also renowned for its revitalizing, nourishing, anti-dandruff, and anti-lice properties.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel, extracted from a cactus-like plant, is a particularly effective natural ally against hair dandruff. It also regulates excess sebum, and provide shine, vigor, and resistance to your scalp.
9 NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR HAIR GROWTH AND THICKNESS
According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, hair loss can result from various factors, such as aging, illness, medication, hormonal imbalance, stress, or harmful hair care products. In some cases, natural ingredients can decrease hair loss and enhance hair growth and thickness.
Aromatherapy expert Emilie Jolibois explains:
- Rosemary essential oil revitalizes, stimulates hair growth, and brings a tonic effect.
- The essential oils of grapefruit, lemongrass, and rosewood strengthen hair, add volume and vigor to fine hair.
- The bay rum oil stimulates and promotes microcirculation in the scalp.
Note that essential oils should always be diluted in carrier oil before use and avoided during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Coconut oil is a popular natural remedy for hair protection and restoration. Due to its composition, rich in vitamins E and K, iron, and lauric acid, the hair’s natural protection is restored, and the hair fiber and scales are coated. A scientific review of coconut oil’s uses found it may help reduce protein loss in hair and strengthen hair.
Supplements: Omega3 Fatty Acids, Ginseng, Saw Palmetto
Omega fatty acid supplements are often recommended by doctors to fight hair loss. A recent study found that a six-month supplementation with omega 3&6 and antioxidants improves hair density.
Saw palmetto was found to be effective in improving hair growth and reducing hair loss, in terms of hair count and hair thickness.
A 2018 study suggested that ginseng has promising hair growth potential and could be developed further as a natural hair growth agent.
19 NATURAL INGREDIENTS TO MOISTURE DRY AND DAMAGED HAIR
Dry hair and split ends can be a frustrating problem, but several natural ingredients can help restore moisture and prevent further damage. One effective solution to moisturize hair is vegetal oils and butters. You can create a hair mask using a variety of these natural ingredients.
- Coconut oil is known for its nourishing and hydrating properties.
- Olive oil contains squalene and oleic acid that help preserve moisture in the hair.
- Castor oil is rich in antioxidants and stimulates keratin production.
- Argan oil is another great option, as it is high in antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E, helping to hydrate and restore hair elasticity.
- Wheat germ oil is a good choice for adding shine and moisture due to its abundance of vitamins E, D, and A.
- Grapeseed oil contains vitamin E, essential fatty acids, and powerful antioxidants, promoting healthy hair.
- Baobab oil is another option, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, it moisturizes dry hair and strengthens weak, brittle hair.
- Avocado oil is high in monounsaturated fats and oleic acid, providing a rich treatment that increases hair’s shine.
Natural butters are also a fantastic source of moisture and hydration for dry hair.
- Shea butter is renowned for its high fatty acid and vitamin E content, making it a perfect moisturizer.
- Mango butter is rich in vitamins A and E, which penetrate deep into the hair to provide moisture and soften dry hair.
- Murumuru butter is high in lauric acid, a fatty acid that helps retain moisture and seal the cuticle, resulting in hydrated hair.
Natural Ingredients from your fridge and cupboard
Aside from these natural oils and butters, there are other ingredients you can find in your fridge or cupboard that can help alleviate dry hair and split ends. You can easily create a hair mask with a mix of these ingredients.
- Eggs are rich in protein, which can help strengthen hair and add shine.
- Avocado, mayonnaise, and yogurt are all excellent sources of moisture, with their natural oils and fats helping to nourish and hydrate the hair.
- Honey is another powerful ingredient that can help retain moisture and prevent further hair damage.
Supplements & Vitamins: Keratin, vitamin B, brewer yeast
If you’re struggling with hair loss or slow hair growth, supplements and vitamins can be a game-changer. These powerful ingredients can help nourish your hair from within, promoting healthy growth, strengthening strands, and preventing breakage.
You can rely on supplements based on keratin, which is naturally synthesized by the body and promotes hair growth.
Dietary supplements based on vitamin B are also effective, as they participate in the renewal of hair cells.
Finally, dietary supplements based on brewer’s yeast are generally recommended for treating brittle hair. A one-month course of brewer’s yeast will help you perfectly care for your hair.
5 NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR OILY AND GREASY HAIR
Excessively oily hair can be a nuisance, but fortunately, there are natural remedies that can help. Here are some effective solutions:
Clay, a sedimentary rock rich in minerals such as calcium, zinc, magnesium, and potassium, has the ability to absorb excess sebum from the scalp. Its mineral content also provides nourishment to the scalp, resulting in hair that is less oily.
Grapefruit essential oil contains properties that can help dissolve excess sebum, while lemon essential oil’s astringent properties work to purify the scalp. Rosemary essential oil is keratolytic and can help to tighten pores and dissolve sebum as well.
Lemon juice, with its acidic properties, can help to balance the pH levels of the scalp, reducing oil production. It also has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that can help to combat dandruff and other scalp conditions.
6 NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR A HEALTHY SCALP
Essential oils such as Patchouli, Palmarosa, Tea Tree, Bay Laurel, and Lavender offer a range of benefits for your scalp.
- Patchouli essential oil is particularly effective in combating dandruff,
- Palmarosa and Tea Tree oils are renowned for their cleansing, soothing, and purifying properties, making them perfect for irritated scalps.
- Bay Laurel essential oil, with its antifungal properties, can help fight against the microorganisms responsible for dandruff.
- Lavender provides a refreshing and soothing sensation, repairing and calming down irritated scalps.
Coconut oil is also an excellent option for scalp treatment. A published study suggests that coconut oil can enrich the scalp’s microbiome, promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria that can make your scalp and hair follicles healthier.
Why is my hair damaged? – A few common reasons
Hair damage can be caused by a multitude of factors, both internal and external. From excessive styling and chemical treatments to environmental factors and lifestyle choices, understanding the root causes of hair damage is key to preventing it and promoting healthier hair. Here are the most common causes of hair damage.
- Excessive or aggressive brushing;
- Hairstyles that are too tight;
- Chemical treatments (coloring and straightening);
- The use of hair dryers, curling or straightening irons;
- Excessive friction in winter (scarves, hats, etc.);
- Regular exposure to chlorinated or salt water;
- Lack of keratin (and therefore protein);
- Lack of sleep;
- Lack of hydration;
- Poor diet;
- Significant nutritional deficiencies
Which ingredient is best for healthy hair?
Coconut oil is often praised for its benefits for healthy hair due to its unique chemical composition and properties.
- Penetrates hair shaft: Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft and nourish hair from within. This can help to prevent hair breakage, split ends, and promote hair growth.
- Moisturizes hair: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and can help to prevent dryness and frizz, especially in hair that is prone to dryness or damage. It helps to seal in moisture and keep hair soft and shiny.
- Protects hair from damage: Coconut oil has a high concentration of lauric acid, which has been shown to have a protective effect on hair. It can help to prevent damage from UV rays, heat styling, and other environmental stressors.
- Healthy Scalp: study suggests that coconut oil can enrich the scalp’s microbiome, promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria that can make your scalp and hair follicles healthier.
- Anti-fungal properties: Coconut oil has anti-fungal properties, which can help to prevent dandruff and other scalp conditions.
- Easily absorbed: Coconut oil is easily absorbed by the hair, making it a great ingredient for deep conditioning treatments.
Santé Magazine – July 2022
Santé Magazine – January 2023 – how to use essential oils to heal your hair